Saturday, November 29, 2008

Keeping the Boogieman at bay

I've decided to adopt the Ostrich approach in navigating the current financial crisis. It is really the only option I have. My job is in serious jeopardy because the state is broke and has cut funding for my position. So far, my boss said no jobs will be lost in our agency.

When I stick my head up in the air I see trouble all around. The economy is getting worse; revenues are disappearing for city and county governments; The Doofis-In-Chief will still be in charge for another six weeks or so. It will be very difficult to find a new job if I lose the one I now have. In the competition for scarce jobs, a 60-year-old guy in below average physical condition will be at a disadvantage. My skills are in the areas that are first targets for cutbacks.

And to make matters worse, my daughter and son-in-law also work in social service so my back up plan of moving in with them if I lose my job and can't pay my rent is dicey.

The irony is that social services are the last things that should be cut when times get hard. This is the time we need people trained to take care of others.

But there isn't much I can do about any of this. So I try to ignore it. I will live my life with as much grace and humor as I can muster. I'm normally a glass-is-half-empty kind of guy, but optimism is going to be my coping mechanism of choice.

No comments: