Monday, December 8, 2008

Forget Me Not

I was going to post something yesterday, but I forgot

That's a joke -- kinda.

I have been forgetting a lot of things lately. Not really big things, I guess. Like yesterday morning, I couldn't remember if I took my vitamin and diabetes pills. Or like today, as I was heading out the door to work, I couldn't remember if I had applied my apres-shower deodorant. (Why that question even came to mind is kind of weird in its own right.). Or like the other day when I couldn't remember the exit we used to take to get to Spartan Stadium from Highway 101.

I used to have a great memory. Back in the day, you wouldn't have wanted to get in a trivia challenge against me. My family quit playing the home version of Jeopardy because my mastery of minutiae made me unbeatable. But now? Well, even the great Ali had to hang 'em up one day.

For a couple of years I've joked that I have a "park bench memory" -- the bench is full and if something old has to get and go before something new can have a seat. But that lame humor is masking a growing concern. I'm getting to an age where forgetfulness can't be brushed off as merely being inattentive or preoccupied (not that I don't have episodes of both). It's time to start wondering if there really is a decline.

If I am on the downhill portion of the road, I hope I can keep a sunny disposition. I wouldn't mind being thought of as daffy eccentric, but I don't want to be the grumpy old guy that yells at people all the time. My grandmother experienced dementia and she was always pleasant and glad to see me -- even if she didn't know who I was.

I think I'm OK for now. But if I have a confused look on my face the next time I see you, just smile and give me a minute.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I know. I know!! Now that gray is the color on the top of my head I think something from those gray roots seeps into the brain and sucks out the capacity to remember.

I've been looking at this for a few years now. I AM a bit older than you, Big Daddy, but the age thing doesn't matter. Our brains are changing, along with our once lithe bodies that used to be able to do a quick two step pivot from short to first.

But (if I remember correctly) I've been thinking about this for a few years now. Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. So what?? If I can't remember stuff, make a list. Write down that person's name you just encountered on a tiny slip I keep in the shirt pocket, or think up a mnemonic right then, (cause I know I'm going to forget the name).

2. Our brains don't work as well as they did when we were younger, but we can still use our minds well. We can still challenge ourselves to learn new things. For example I've gotten into the annoying habit of actively seeking out things that don't make sense and trying to gain some insight into them. (retirement is great)

Like Bush. What was he thinking? Or Paulson. They surely wouldn't do the things they do if they thought about them the way I do. And it does no good for me to dismiss them because they are just evil of stupid. They have mental models just as I do. What are they? and why?

3. I love the internet because it helps me in thinking about things in new ways. It's the perfect old guy's brain training tool.

4. In the end I think it doesn't matter what you can't remember as long as you remember that it's important to keep learning new stuff.

(I wish I could remember why I started writing this... Oh yeah! Big Daddy's Blog.)