Monday, December 15, 2008

What's White?

Let's have a little fun.

In a recent blog, I mentioned the mac and cheese is white soul food. That started me thinking about other things that are quintessentially "white."

Here a few I thought of:

Foods:
  • meat loaf
  • tuna casserole
  • french toast
  • jello salad
  • bolonga sandwiches
  • Vienna sausages
Vacation destinations:
  • Branson, Mo.
  • Disneyland
Sex symbols:
  • Olivia Newton John
  • Fabio
  • Loni Anderson
Sports:
  • Bowling
  • Curling
  • Hockey
Entertainment:
  • "Grease" (play and movie)
  • "Brady Bunch"
  • Country & Western music
That's off the top of my head. Add to the list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you ever plan on going back to Branson, some of the Branson hotels have great vacation package deals.

Unknown said...

Basically, anything that you can think of that is a huge joke is white. Just think about the things that are this list. The only good things on that list that are french toast, hockey, and country music (this last one I don't think you are going to find a whole lot of people who agree with me). The other foods are a lot of things that are made from leftovers. The sex symbols, remaining sports, and entertainment all speak for themselves. Then there are Disneyland and Branson. I don't know much about Disneyland, but Branson I do know about. That place sucks. Plain and simple. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never really been there. After living in Northwest Arkansas for the better part of 13 years I think I would know. People say that Vegas is where singers and performers go to "die" for lack of a better term. Well if that is true, then Branson, MO is where they go to make sure their career can't come back as a zombie. I have never seen anything good in that town. It is the only place where I have ever seen a Semi flipped over on the side of the road. It didn't blow a tire, it didn't get hit by another car, and it was the early summer with no rain. The truck just couldn't take driving through that town. I have nothing against Missouri. In fact I think it is a great state and that is not just because my mother was born there either. It's a fun state and it would be even better if you took away a couple of towns (St. Louis, because I know of only one other town in the US that loves itself more in Chicago. And BRANSON). Branson just plain sucks. And this brings me to my final point. Why do white people only get to claim that which sucks? Really, look at the list. French toast, it's right there in the name that it really belongs to the French. Hockey is Canada's sport. And finally to add something to the list...jacked up pickup trucks.

Big Daddy said...

Yeah, I was really working with stereotypes. And I was TRYING to be funny. Similar lists could be made that represent the lowpoints of things associated with other ethnic groups. But it is considered bad manners to make fun of people's cultures so I'm stuck with making fun of my own.

Jacked-up trucks is a great addition.

Can we add Paris Hilton to the sex symbol list?